Monday, November 30, 2009

Step away from the fork...

I stepped on the scale this morning.  Needless to say, after a long Thanksgiving weekend of good food and drink I was greeted with a number that I have not seen in many, many moons.  Yikes.  Time to buckle down and get back to work.  A nice rambling ten miler on Sunday was just what I needed to get back out there.

Not to say that I haven't continued to find new and inventive ways to further cause myself pain and injuries.  Not by a long shot.  Inspired by Dave's foray into the world of minimalism,

 No, not that kind of Minimalism

I have been working on my stride and focusing on landing on my mid, and fore-foot instead of on my heels.  I'm not bad but there is always room for improvement.  With this change of stride there naturally comes an adjustment  period, aka, pain.  I expected the shin pain (when don't they hurt?) and even the calf pain but I admit that I am surprised at how much it is affecting my achilles.  Hopefully this is just a transition period and everything will sort itself out before it runs into achilles tendenosis.  That would suck.

1 comment:

  1. That is the problem with running on the balls of your feet. I have probs with achilles, plantar fascitis and with metatarsal pain. I need to strike more on my mid-foot, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Are you going to try the Nike Frees?
    I feel your pain about the holiday weekend and the scale. Are you doing HO HO HO? Not me. Too fat to run fast right now.

    ReplyDelete