Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Monticello and the Return

"Determine never to be idle. No person will have occasion to complain of the want of time who never loses any. It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing." Thomas Jefferson


Friday we made the great trek down to Virginia for a family function.  By that time I had officially not run for two weeks and I was getting real tired of it.  My foot continued to heal and was feeling much better.  The pain was still there but it was markedly improved.  After making some inquiries I learned of a trail that went wound its way through the woods right up to Monticello.  A perfect place to get back out and running.


I hit the trail early Saturday morning and quickly realized that it was all uphill; unexpected but manageable.  The entire length ran through the woods with only the occasional glimpses of the nearby road.  The soft gravel trail was broken up by wooden walkways and was relaxing to run along.  Eventually it came out to the Monticello visitor center which was to be my, unexpected, turnaround point.  The kind lady at the entrance to the next trail informed me that if I wanted to go the remaining .3 miles to the house I would have to buy a ticket.  Difficult to do since all I had was a t-shirt and shorts on.  So back down the mountain I ran.  I was so happy to be running again I even did the last mile barefoot.  Gravel does tend to hurt the feet after awhile though.


The only view I have ever had of Monticello

No comments:

Post a Comment