Monday, May 9, 2011

Back on track. For now

Wednesday my leg was sore.  No big deal, happens all the time.

Thursday my leg was still sore.  Annoying, but that's what you get, right?

Friday my leg was sore.  Too bad.  I've got 5 miles to do and dammit, I'm going to do it.  Even if it's at 4AM.

Friday, after the run, my leg was really painful.  Uh oh, now I did it.  Way to listen to my body.  I swear I never learn.  Throughout the day it continued to feel like someone had whacked the back of my leg with a pool cue.  Fortunately I had opted to run in the morning so I brought some ice packs with me to work and began icing the area throughout the day.

Looking over my schedule for the weekend I saw that I had a split run on Saturday of 3 hours total and 4 or 5 miles on Sunday.  Total mileage would be around 26-28 miles.  I hemmed and hawed, and delayed and fretted.  Finally, I conceded; those runs just weren't happening. Luckily (if you want to call it that) I was pretty sure that it was my Achilles that was the problem.  Which means...

I could still go biking!

Don't really need an Achilles for that!  And so I did.  Two days of biking and soaking in the warm spring-ish air.  Good times.  Meanwhile the ibuprofen and ice regiment continued unabated.

Today I went out for an easy 40 minute run.  First ten minutes, no pain.  20 minutes, no pain.  30, no pain.  A whole run with no pain or soreness!  Woo hoo!  Back to training!

1 comment:

  1. Keep up with the icing for a bit just in case??? :) so glad it didn't derail you for too long!

    ReplyDelete