Thursday, May 26, 2011

Fail

Tuesday's workout was an epic fail.  It was scheduled to be an hour and ten with 2.5 minute 10K pace tempos. From the moment I woke up that day I knew it was going to be rough.  I could barely stay awake all morning and was generally just really tired.  My legs had felt pretty spent during Monday's workout so that and the tiredness combined was not making me feel too good about the run.

As soon as I started I knew that it was going to be hard.  My legs were still tired and just wouldn't turn over without a conscious effort.  Even the easy warm-up over the first couple of miles were a lot of work.  When I finally got to the temp parts I was already spent and had to really concentrate on trying to keep a good pace.  I suffered through this for awhile and finally decided to ditch the last tempo and just fill out the remaining time with easy running.  But even then I kept finding myself struggling and got a to a point where I just gave up and walked for a couple of minutes.

Looking back at my splits I did actually manage to get close to my expected pace until the last couple of miles, but it was way too much work.  I shouldn't be struggling with this kind of workout at this point in my training.  I don't know why I was so tired all day, maybe it was a cold or something so I could chalk it up to that, but not being able to finish a workout strong really sucks and doesn't help with building my confidence for the upcoming relay. Luckily yesterday's run was better so I am going to just have to chalk up Tuesday's as a fluke and move past it.

2 comments:

  1. Residual fatigue -- you have been working hard for awhile now. Your body is ready for taper...
    Get some extra sleep and eat well.. and I bet you will run very well next week... and then at the relay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a day off! Forcing a quality session on your legs when you don't feel up to it is never a good idea. Runners who do that always end up injured or burnt out. Don't be a workout hero.

    ReplyDelete